New Patron Policy
- Residents of Bonne Terre five years and older, who live in city limits, will be issued a library card at no charge.
- Residents outside of Bonne Terre city limits will be charged a $10.00 fee per year per family.
- Patrons under the age of 18 must have parent/guardian permission.
- Persons aged 55 and older, regardless of residency, will not be charged a patron fee.
- Any student attending a North County School will not be charged a patron fee.
New Patrons must present proof of residency, a valid picture ID & a piece of mail or other item showing current address. Addresses with P.O. Box are not accepted. Addresses need to have valid house and street number.
References must be verified prior to obtaining library card. All information expires after one year and must be renewed annually to keep your card in good standings with the library and any applicable fees paid before patrons are able to again borrow materials.
Responsibilities of borrowers:
- The borrower is responsible for the care and on time return of materials that he or she has borrowed.
- Parents are responsible for the materials that their children have borrowed until the children reach the age of 18.
- If materials are lost, damaged, or destroyed beyond repair, patron is responsible for paying the current replacement cost of materials.
- If material is overdue, patrons must return overdue material and pay any fines before they will be allowed to check out more materials.
- If the fine or replacement cost exceeds $5.00, privileges will be suspended.
Retrieving Overdue Library Materials and Fines:
During the first 50 days library material is overdue, library staff will make three attempts to retrieve overdue materials. Once past the 51 day mark, under provisions of BT Municipal Ordinance ML-94.04.030.2000 the Bonne Terre Police Department will assist library staff in retrieving materials. The police department has made available a letter that is mailed. The police department will be issued a list for contacting patrons with overdue materials.